City of Sioux City
Temporary Part-Time Clerical Assistant/Human Resources
- Job Code
- Posted On
- November 4th, 2016
- Closing On
- Until Filled
- Bargaining Units more...
Sioux City, IA
405 6th Street, Sioux City, IA 51102
- Job Type
- Pay Rate
- Date Adopted
- August 12, 2013
- Date Revised
- August 12, 2013
- Approved Res.No
- Download File
- City Application - non Civil Services/EEO/One Source [pdf]
Temporary Part-Time Clerical Assistant/Human Resources, $16.16/Hour. This position will provide general office and clerical assistance for a variety of departments within the City. Job duties will include serving as a receptionist, greeting and serving customers, data entry, answering phones, scanning, filing, operating various office equipment and all other duties as assigned. Hours and days will vary depending on need. This position is Temporary Part-Time with NO guarantee of hours. Applications will be taken until position filled.
- Job Description
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under general supervision, provides general office and clerical assistance and support within established guidelines in a variety of office settings and Departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION (with or without accommodation):
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serves as receptionist, staffs a public service counter and answers the telephone to provide assistance and directions to visitors and callers.
- Types, edits, revises and proofreads letters, reports and related documents using a typewriter and / or a P.C.
- Enters, retrieves and records data concerning activities and operations.
- Operates various office equipment including a P.C., copy machine, FAX and postage meter and two way radio system.
- Receives and distributes mail, records certified mail.
- Issues and records permits, receives and records cash receipts.
- Maintains filing system.
- Assists with the recording and processing of payroll documents and accounts payable / receivable.
- Schedules and maintains calendar of events and meetings.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Officials, fellow employees and the general public.
- Maintains regular and punctual working hours.
- Expected to temporarily perform duties outside of normal classification in the event of a declared emergency. In the event that an employee is excused from work other than being sick, they will be required to report to work in a state of declared emergency.
- Preferred Skills
MINIMUM PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ABILITES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Cognitive Demands, Skills and Abilities: Ability to speak clearly so others can understand you, ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer), ability to see details at a distance, ability to identify and understand the speech of another person, ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication: Requires effective communication skills and the ability to provide assistance to employees, and the general public. Requires the ability to speak clearly, distinctly and effectively with fellow employees; read in English and compare similarities and differences between words and series of numbers; apply common sense understanding to the work process, procedures, programs andservices; and to provide and follow verbal and written instructions
Physical requirements: Regularly lifts up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts up to 30 pounds.
Job Knowledge: Requires a thorough knowledge of modern office policies and practices. Ability to apply current office technology, resources and services to assist customers (external and internal). Knowledge of basic business math, public relations and the ability to use the English language effectively and to follow written and verbal instructions. Ability to maintain and access records and reports regarding City services and activities. Work Environment: Work is normally performed in a general inside office environment with appropriate heating and cooling and is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards other than those normally associated with general public contact.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE/ TRAINING:
Graduation from High School or GED supplemented by some (six months) clerical work experience or specialized office related course work and / or P.C. software or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Pre-employment screenings may include but are not limited to: criminal background search and drug and alcohol screen.