City of Sioux City
Sports Official - Basketball
- Job Code
- Posted On
- November 18th, 2016
- Closing On
- Until Filled
- Seasonal/General more...
- Parks and Recreation
Longlines Family Rec Center
Sioux City, IA
401 Gordon Dr, Sioux City, IA 51102
- Pay Rate
- Download File
- City Application - non Civil Services/EEO/One Source [pdf]
SPORTS OFFICIALS - BASKETBALL, $15.07/HOUR. Sports officials will officiate adult basketball. League will run from January 8, 2016 – March 19, 2017, 6:15pm - 9:15pm. Must be knowledgeable in game rules and statistic recording. Previous officiating experience preferred but not required. Ability to oversee adult sports and manage/guide conflicts to acceptable resolution. Games will be worked during nights and weekends. Must have own transportation. Applications will be taken until positions filled.
- Job Description
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs regulatory and rule enforcement work in officiating at league softball, basketball, football, baseball or other team games; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work in this class involves responsibility for seeing that league games to which the incumbent has been assigned are played promptly, are played in accordance with rules and regulations, and are played in an enjoyable and sportsmanlike manner. Supervision may be exercised over other umpires, scorekeepers and park servicing personnel. Considerable tact is required in handling disputes among teams and players. Instructions are received orally and in writing.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Reports to field before game time;
- Sees that scorekeepers are properly equipped and that the playing field or court is in suitable condition;
- Secures and checks official line-ups;
- Sees that the individuals or teams are briefed on ground rules;
- Starts game on time;
- Umpires game in accordance with the umpire code and creed and with game and league regulations;
- Handles tactfully all disputes among teams and players;
- Encourages sportsmanlike behavior;
- Prepares written reports on any disputes which are not settled to the satisfaction of all parties concerned;
- Assists scorekeepers, ballfield maintenance, police and servicing personnel as needed.
- Preferred Skills
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, principles, techniques and equipment applicable to assigned sport; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with the public and players; ability to prepare adequate and accurate reports on disputes over decisions during games; skill in making prompt and equitable decisions in umpiring assigned games; good physical condition.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Considerable experience in professional athletic work, coaching, or in the umpiring of baseball, basketball, tennis or other team games, and completion of a standard high school course; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.